Friday, October 26, 2012

And I was happy.

A few weeks back I was at one of my local thrift shop stops picking up a few accessories for the nursery.  While perusing the store, I spied a glass punch bowl and cocktail glasses sitting, unassumingly, amongst the everyday kitchenware.  The sleek lines beckoned me to come a little closer.  Upon further inspection, I noted several things:

#1 - This nicely shaped punch bowl came with 12 matching glasses.  Hmmm...not bad. 
#2 - What?  The bowl and glass rims have a silver plated band?  I'm a sucker for silver.  I can't help it.  I just am.
#3 - What's that you say?  The punch bowl and 12 silver plated glasses are how much?  They are $10?  For all of it?

I picked it up and put it down.  I walked to the back of the store to browse the books and magazines.  I peeked back to the kitchenware section; the bowl was still there.  What's wrong with it?  Something must be wrong with this bowl.  My gut is wrong.  It's a has-been.  I should leave now while I'm still ahead.  I was satisfied with my finds: a Norman Rockwell "Man in Boat" lithograph, a picture frame the perfect size for the print, as well as a globe that was going to make itself right at home in the nursery

Just check out now.  You will certainly leave this store ahead.

So I left.

Three hours later, while at home, I was still thinking about this punch bowl.


And the glasses. 



But I don't even serve punch at my parties.
Maybe I should serve punch at my parties.
I should go back.  If it is still there, that is my sign.
So I went back while the boys were napping (one benefit of a husband who works out of the home).
And it was there.  And I bought the bowl and glasses.  And I was happy.  :)



Images of possibilities for my new punch bowl floated through my head:



Or maybe I would use the bowl for flower arrangements or as a centerpiece:

 







Then, I became curious.  What is this punch set that I just bought?  Is there anything to it?  Maybe a little research was needed.

So I googled "glass bowl with silver plated rim."
And after a little searching, there it was:

via Forgotten Luxury Blog

Don Draper.  Mad Men.  Dorothy Thorpe. 
You can read all about it here, at Forgotten Luxury, if you are truly interested. 
The long and short of it is this:  Don Draper drank from these glasses during the second season of Mad Men, and since that time, these glasses, and Dorothy Thorpe, are basking in the limelight of all their mid century glory.

Replacements.com is selling these Dorothy Thorpe replacement roly poly glasses for $26.99.  Per. Glass.

So here's the truth of it.  I'm not sure my glasses are authentic Dorothy Thorpe.  It seems, from my research, that not all of these glasses bare her insignia.  I'm very interested in learning more details, to understand if I really have a true Dorothy Thorpe.  Anybody out there hear me? 

Regardless, I'm happy I went back for the purchase. 

Because I will be doing a little of this:

 

And a little bit of this:



Do you have a favorite find you weren't looking for?  Or did you unknowingly purchase a product at a steal of a price? I'd love to hear about it.

2 comments:

  1. I was given a new diaper bag that was heading to goodwill and tried to sell it at our yard sale for $10. Someone offered $5 and wisely Peyton decided to check how much it was worth based on who it came from. Apparently it's from Nordstrom for over $200! For a diaper bag?! Cah-razy town.

    Love the glasses and punch bowl!! Either I have zero thrifting luck or I just need to spend more time in shops...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Really? Beautiful set! I love Mad Men!

    ReplyDelete